Wednesday 10 August 2011

A Prayer to the Chief Shepherd

"Therefore, I urge the congregation leaders among you, as a fellow leader and witness to the Messiah's sufferings, as well as a sharer in the glory to be revealed: shepherd the flock of God that is in your care, exercising oversight not out of constraint, but willingly, as God wants; and not out of a desire for dishonest gain, but with enthusiasm; also not as (machers) domineering over those in your care, but as people who become examples to the flock. Then, when the Chief Shepherd appears, you will receive glory as your unfading crown." 1 Peter 5: 1-4; the Complete Jewish Bible

Master, how shall I lead the flock
that You entrust to me,
How shall I adequately love the ones
that You have prepared for me?

How shall I entreat and protect
Your chosen ones in my care,
How shall I walk with certainty
Yet share Your example of humility so rare?

Master, will You teach me how to carry
Your lambs in my arms
Will You show me how to wrestle
for the willful ones in prayer?

Will You provide the care that cast away anxiety
Will Your constant flow of joy
replenish the burden of piety?

Gentle Shepherd, please lead me beside Your Living Stream
and restore my soul to Your Reflection...

For then I know that I can rest
in Your goodness and Mercy
as my feet find its way in Your Pastures of Peace.


Written by: Yulande Rix Oosthuyzen
August 07, 2011
Surrey, BC


No comments:

Post a Comment